Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » backup and recovery strategy
backup and recovery strategy [message #156448] Wed, 25 January 2006 05:07 Go to next message
patrick
Backup database

At the moment we are using oracle 8i and we are going to move to 10g.

In oracle 8i we used the export utility to make backups and to be sure we made a cold backup of the entire database to disk and backup up that again to tape. We don’t use archivelogs. Works ok for us and we can use this same system under Oracle 10g.

But if you are using oracle 10g you have to make advantage of all the things it offers and the biggest one is RMAN. Only I don’t completely see how to make sure I have it all in a disaster recovery and would like for you to give me some pointers.

My Oracle 10g backup strategy.

Make sure the database runs in archivelog.

I made sure I always backup the controlfile and I want the backupsets to be compressed.

Every day I run the follwing RMAN script

Run
{
backup database;
backup (archivelog all);
}

I then backup the entire flash recovery area to tape.

When I get an error or something I just restore/recover it from a backupset. No problem

If the server completely burns out I would do the following.
I get a new server and install the same oracle version. I place back the flash recovery area from tape. Then what? My repository was in the controlfile.

So I do the following
RMAN> connect target /
RMAN> set dbid number from the burned out database;
RMAN> restore confrolfile from autobackup;
RMAN> alter database mount;
RMAN> restore database;
RMAN> recover database;
RMAN> alter database open resetlogs;

Is this an ok idea?
Re: backup and recovery strategy [message #156521 is a reply to message #156448] Wed, 25 January 2006 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
Hello Patrik.

Is there any chance for you to have another very very small database to act as RMAN repository?.
I have used RMAN for many years and found that working with a 'catalog' database is more usefull than relying in controlfiles. so, if you have the chance to have an additional smallest database in other server, could be a windows machine, it would be better for you.

It is only an idea.....
I cannot help you with your issue since I've never used RMAN with controlfile as repository catalog.
best luck
Re: backup and recovery strategy [message #156522 is a reply to message #156448] Wed, 25 January 2006 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
patrick
well i know a repository would be better and more usefull but we are not going to use that option because of a few reasons that has nothing to do with oracle.

Any one else?
Re: backup and recovery strategy [message #156525 is a reply to message #156448] Wed, 25 January 2006 09:32 Go to previous message
croK
Hi again.
I was reading the documentation and found the following instructions to restore and recover database when you dont have a recovery catalog and also lost your controlfile.

CONNECT TARGET /
STARTUP NOMOUNT;
SET DBID 676549873; (use the number you know, this is an example)
RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE disk;
RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;
ALTER DATABASE MOUNT DATABASE;
}
RESTORE DATABASE;
RECOVER DATABASE;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

It is very similar to your example, but it starts db in NOMOUNT mode before any restoration.
Hope this helps.

Previous Topic: Database registered in a catalog
Next Topic: Backup through exports (CRONTAB)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:32:44 CDT 2024