Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman nocatalog 8i
rman nocatalog 8i [message #155142] Thu, 12 January 2006 10:04 Go to next message
fnguy
How can I do a full recovery with 8i and norecovery catalog. It appears I need a recovery catalog to recover the control file. With 9i our control file is a seperate piece, we set the DBID, and then restore the control file. 8i documentation seems to indicate I need a recovery catalog....

Many thanks....
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #155154 is a reply to message #155142] Thu, 12 January 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You are right and before 9i , You MUST raise a TAR. OSS can help to extract the file manually.
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #155181 is a reply to message #155142] Thu, 12 January 2006 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fnguy
Many thanks!
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #156037 is a reply to message #155142] Fri, 20 January 2006 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
klaas052
i have used rman in 8i and nocatalog.
I tested it on a windows installation, but the restore went ok.
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #156041 is a reply to message #156037] Fri, 20 January 2006 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fnguy
Did you have the current control file in place? I believe that's the problem; there's no seperation of the database and the controlfile. Please provide more details how you proceeded.... Thanks... Laughing
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #156056 is a reply to message #155142] Fri, 20 January 2006 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
klaas052
i will upload what i did.
It's in dutch, but maybe you'll understand anyway.
Otherwise, let me now. I will try to translate the important parts... Razz
  • Attachment: nocatalog.txt
    (Size: 14.68KB, Downloaded 1583 times)
Re: rman nocatalog 8i [message #156148 is a reply to message #155142] Mon, 23 January 2006 01:47 Go to previous message
chj733
HI
It is just an advice!!!
You can backupup your current controlfile manual after you have backuped all datafiles(database),then the controlfile you backuped contains all backup records you need,you don't worry about that you can't use some backup because of the record in controlfile has been overwrited!!!

In the worst case,you lost some backup records,and you use RMAN with nocatalog,you can use package dbms_backup_restore to restore what you want,but it may be more difficult than normal!!!

the following script is for example:
--restore controlfile
DECLARE
devtype varchar2(256);
done boolean;
BEGIN
devtype := dbms_backup_restore.DeviceAllocate(type => '',ident => 'FUN');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoresetdataFile;
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreControlFileto('D:\ORACLE_BASE\controlfiles\CONTROL01.CTL');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreBackupPiece('D:\ORACLE_BASE\Rman_Backup\MYDB_DF_BCK0BH1JBVA_1_1',done => done);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreControlFileto('D:\ORACLE_BASE\controlfiles\CONTROL02.CTL');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreBackupPiece('D:\ORACLE_BASE\Rman_Backup\MYDB_DF_BCK0BH1JBVA_1_1',done => done);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreControlFileto('D:\ORACLE_BASE\controlfiles\CONTROL03.CTL');
dbms_backup_restore.DeviceDeallocate;
END;
/

--restore datafile
DECLARE
devtype varchar2(256);
done boolean;
BEGIN
devtype := dbms_backup_restore.DeviceAllocate (type => '',ident => 'FUN');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreSetDatafile;
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreDatafileTo(dfnumber => 1,toname => 'D:\ORACLE_BASE\datafiles\SYSTEM01.DBF');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreDatafileTo(dfnumber => 2,toname => 'D:\ORACLE_BASE\datafiles\UNDOTBS.DBF');
--dbms_backup_restore.RestoreDatafileTo(dfnumber => 3,toname => 'D:\ORACLE_BASE\datafiles\MYSPACE.DBF');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreBackupPiece(done => done,handle => 'D:\ORACLE_BASE\RMAN_BACKUP\MYDB_DF_BCK05H2LLQP_1_1', params => null);
END;
/

--restore archived redolog
DECLARE
devtype varchar2(256);
done boolean;
BEGIN
devtype := dbms_backup_restore.DeviceAllocate (type => '',ident => 'FUN');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreSetArchivedLog(destination=>'D:\ORACLE_BASE\achive\');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreArchivedLog(thread=>1,sequence=>1);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreArchivedLog(thread=>1,sequence=>2);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreArchivedLog(thread=>1,sequence=>3);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreBackupPiece(done => done,handle => 'D:\ORACLE_BASE\RMAN_BACKUP\MYDB_LOG_BCK0DH1JGND_1_1', params => null);
END;
/

[Updated on: Wed, 12 April 2006 07:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: my friend wants to learn RMAN ..is there any Instructors there ? he will pay for it
Next Topic: online redo logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:38:36 CDT 2024