Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » cold backup in archivelog mode
cold backup in archivelog mode [message #154633] Mon, 09 January 2006 20:49 Go to next message
quytc

Hi all,
I known that. Offline or cold backups are performed when the database is completely shutdown. We can only recover the database up to the point when the last backup was made unless the database is running in ARCHIVELOG mode.

I have recovered the database up to the point before last backup successfuly.

But I can't recover the database up to point after last backup even if my database is in Archvelog mode.

Can anybody help me recover the database up to point ofter last backup
Thanks
Re: cold backup in archivelog mode [message #182238 is a reply to message #154633] Thu, 13 July 2006 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
When you do the restore are you restoring the control files? If so then those files know nothing about events that happened after the cold backup. Thus any data modifications are not restored because all the controlfiles know nothing about the TSNs(Transaction Sequence Number, updated in the control files after each transaction is committed) after the cold backup.

If you do leave the control files (you should have more than one on seperate disks) alone (you should) then you are not properply issuing the restore command. Check Oracle's PDFs at the medi-link site for how to restore using 'point in time.'
Neil.
Re: cold backup in archivelog mode [message #185410 is a reply to message #182238] Tue, 01 August 2006 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dibuleng
To be able to recover until point in time ypu need to take an online backup.
Then you can recreate the controlfile and issue recover statement until time.

If is a cold backup you can only recover until the last log that was applied.no need to use until time
Re: cold backup in archivelog mode [message #185629 is a reply to message #154633] Wed, 02 August 2006 14:59 Go to previous message
ebrian
Don't despair quytc....the actual answer is, you CAN recover past the time & date of a cold backup. The backup does NOT have to be a hot backup to enable a full recovery or a point-in-time after the cold backup was taken.

For example, if you take a cold backup on Monday and the database crashes on Thursday, then if you have access to all the archivelogs that were generated after the cold backup, then you actually CAN perform a point-in-time recovery up to the point when the database crashed. In fact, if the online redo logs are still available, then you can recover WITHOUT having to do a point-in-time recovery.
Previous Topic: using backup control file
Next Topic: Best backup Strategy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:55:07 CDT 2024