Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode
how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147769] Sun, 20 November 2005 23:54 Go to next message
weekend79

Hi

Please advise how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode by putting tablespace in backup mode and what the role is of Redo Logs in such recovery.

Details:-
I used to take hot backups from operating system (No Archive Mode, shutdown database, copy all datafiles, controlfiles, redofiles + some .ora files). And recover them on there places when recovery required (Piece of cake).

But Now I can’t afford to shutdown database. Now I (In Archive log mode, put tablespace in backup mode & take operating system backup one by one of all tablespaces).

Please advise how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode by putting tablespace in backup mode and what the role is of Redo Logs in such recovery.

Wishes
Jawad

Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147772 is a reply to message #147769] Mon, 21 November 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Quote:

Details:-
I used to take hot backups from operating system (No Archive Mode,

First and foremost thing , the detail you mentioned above specifies that its a cold backup . Read this for more details.

-->how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode .

Method is almost the same, in case of failure

-- Restore the corrupted file ( using OS command)

-- Recover that datafile using
 Recover datafile datafile_number
command.

--> what the role is of Redo Logs in such recovery ?

Redo logs play a crucial role in this type of recovery because its the redo logs that makes the database recent.

Better to read the documentation related to Backup & Recovery.
Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147788 is a reply to message #147772] Mon, 21 November 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weekend79

Dear tarundba

Thanks for detail reply.

One more answar please.
In recovery did Redo Log perform there task automatically or any manual steps required?

Wishes
Jawad

Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147789 is a reply to message #147788] Mon, 21 November 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

No special script required . when you use Recover Datafile command then Oracle will automatically apply redo logs on the backup ..

But before doing this testing i sincerely suggest that please read the documentation because in archive log mode you have to be careful about the Archive log files also.

So read the docs then implement.
Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147801 is a reply to message #147789] Mon, 21 November 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weekend79

Dear tarundba

Thanks.
But what is if not use Recover Datafile command and I use operating system commands to recover, Do Redo Log perform there task automatically or any manual steps required?

Wishes
Jawad

[Updated on: Mon, 21 November 2005 02:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147824 is a reply to message #147801] Mon, 21 November 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
weekend79 wrote on Mon, 21 November 2005 14:26

what is if not use Recover Datafile command and I use operating system commands to recover

Is there any command to do recovery from OS ? If its there then even i want to know.
Can you post the steps , how you will recover from OS commands.

regards,
tarun

Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147838 is a reply to message #147824] Mon, 21 November 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weekend79

Dear

I mean to say that I use simple copy an paste of wndows.

Thanks
Jawad
Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147845 is a reply to message #147838] Mon, 21 November 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

The only thing i have to say is that

Read the documentation first or any book on backup and recovery.

Simple copy and paste is called Restore in Oracle terms and not recovery.

Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #147893 is a reply to message #147845] Mon, 21 November 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi

weekend79... tarun had given you all reply and at last he suggested you to read the documentation ..... coz wat your were asking here is written there Laughing ... by the way simple copy and paste of wndows will not recover your database... so please read few topic.

[1] Oracle Architecture
[2] Redolog files
[3] Archive log file

There are many more topic but the above three is useful for what you are asking here.. Smile

Note :- above mention topic will help you lot to understand ,,, recovery of oracle database.

Regards
Always Friend Sunilkumar
Re: how to recover an operating system backup taken in archive log mode [message #148354 is a reply to message #147769] Wed, 23 November 2005 15:09 Go to previous message
skempins
Jawad,

Read about RMAN. It takes the tedium out of performing backups and recoveries.
Previous Topic: 10g R2 Media Management Agent
Next Topic: Database crash during opening
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:57:45 CDT 2024