Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle Checkpoints
Oracle Checkpoints [message #145531] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:05 Go to next message
longduck
Ok..How do I increase the number of check points? I know check points occur at every log switch but because my redo logs are so big, I am not getting enough check points. And PLEASE...do not tell me to set it in seconds for log_checkpoint_timeout because that is NOT the case. Thank you.
Re: Oracle Checkpoints [message #145534 is a reply to message #145531] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Did you look into archive_lag_target?
Re: Oracle Checkpoints [message #145536 is a reply to message #145531] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
longduck
can you explain to me how it works please? thanx.
Re: Oracle Checkpoints [message #145537 is a reply to message #145536] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
longduck
Note: I am not using a STAND By database.
Re: Oracle Checkpoints [message #145539 is a reply to message #145537] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
quoting docs

Setting the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET Initialization Parameter

When you set the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET initialization parameter, you cause Oracle to examine an instance's current online redo log periodically. If the following conditions are met the instance will switch the log:

* The current log was created prior to n seconds ago, and the estimated archival time for the current log is m seconds (proportional to the number of redo blocks used in the current log), where n + m exceeds the value of the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET initialization parameter.
* The current log contains redo records.

In an Oracle Real Application Clusters environment, the instance also nudges other threads into switching and archiving logs if they are falling behind. This can be particularly useful when one instance in the cluster is more idle than the other instances (as when you are running a 2-node primary/secondary configuration of Oracle Real Application Clusters).

Initialization parameter ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET specifies the target of how many seconds of redo the standby could lose in the event of a primary shutdown or crash if the Data Guard environment is not configured in a no-data-loss mode. It also provides an upper limit of how long (in the number of seconds) the current log of the primary database can span. Because the estimated archival time is also considered, this is not the exact log switch time.

The following initialization parameter setting sets the log switch interval to 30 minutes (a typical value).

ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET = 1800

A value of 0 disables this time-based log switching functionality. This is the default setting.

You can set the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET initialization parameter even if there is no standby database. For example, the ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET parameter can be set specifically to force logs to be switched and archived.
Re: Oracle Checkpoints [message #145549 is a reply to message #145539] Thu, 03 November 2005 14:32 Go to previous message
longduck
Thank you for the advice. It worked beautifully!
Previous Topic: RMAN Error - ORA-01152
Next Topic: Hot backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:25:18 CDT 2024