Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Distinction between restore & recovery
Distinction between restore & recovery [message #143645] Fri, 21 October 2005 06:07 Go to next message
rajendran
Hi all,

I want to know the distinction between restore & recovery in case of incremental backing up scenario...

in general restore will create/replace the target db datafile with the backed up one from secondary storage...

and recover will make the restored datafiles usable...

If i am taking level 0 incremental backups once in every friday evening & lev 1 inc backups daily..
then if i want to restore & recover to a particular point in time what will restore & recover will do??
Re: Distinction between restore & recovery [message #143651 is a reply to message #143645] Fri, 21 October 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Level 0 --- Every Friday
Level 1 --- daily

So suppose DB failed on Wednesday then you will have backup for

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday -- All level 1 backup.

So when RMAN's Restore command will restore

--level 0 first and then applies level 1 ( saturday) , level 1 (sunday) , level 1(monday), level 1(tuesday)

Recover command then

-- apply archivelogs as on wednesday, synchronise checkpoints on the datafiles and make the database ready to work .

[For others: If there is anything else then do let us know ]

Re: Distinction between restore & recovery [message #143677 is a reply to message #143651] Fri, 21 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous message
rajendran
thanks for your reply...

it sounds acceptable, but did you see this in any site or book..

do see the below link that specifies recovery uses incremental backup on restored datafiles...

Quote:

The concept of datafile media recovery is the application of online or archived redo logs or incremental backups to a restored datafile in order to update it to the current time or some other specified time.

http://oraclesvca2.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10734/rcmconc2.htm#1007756

if this is the case then the restore operation doesn't require those lev 1 incremental backup files right...

and the lev 1 incremental files can be made available only during recovery operation right...

could you please explain on this???
Previous Topic: configure RMAN
Next Topic: I need help how to recover my database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:54:21 CDT 2024