Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Consistent Online Backup
Consistent Online Backup [message #141412] Mon, 10 October 2005 02:05 Go to next message
weekend79

Hi

I have to ask 03 questions but the goal is one “Consistent Online Backup”. Just can’t afford to disturb my query users time to time for backup.

1. Is there any possibility of taking consistent backup of online no-archive database with RMAN?
2. I thing Online backup is inconsistent because it wont cover ongoing insertions & updating take place at the time of backup creation. So if I stop all insertions & updating and just let queries to executes and take a Whole System backup from operating system commands. Will it be consider as consistent or I must have to shutdown database to achieve consistent backup.
3. If online backup is consistent if no insertion, updating take place, is there any option to open/alter database in read only mode.

Wishes
Jawad

Re: Consistent Online Backup [message #141432 is a reply to message #141412] Mon, 10 October 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>2. I thing Online backup is inconsistent because it wont cover ongoing insertions & updating take place at the time of backup creation
Statement is partially correct.
All 'ongoeing operations' are always recorded in ORL and prompty passed into the archived logs in a timely / structured fashion.For this same reason, You need to backup your ARchived logs.
If your database has some data that is worthy and you intend to do the backup, have it in archived log mode.
Else
be prepared for the doomsday.
And no backup is ever been perfectly correct (and is Never ever without archived logs).
One of the near solutions is RMAN.
You always backup archived logs and your database.

Re: Consistent Online Backup [message #141447 is a reply to message #141432] Mon, 10 October 2005 06:06 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
>>1. Is there any possibility of taking consistent backup of online no-archive database with RMAN?

Hot backup or online backup for non-archive database is not possible.

--Girish
Previous Topic: oracle 10g RMAN
Next Topic: Restoring Oracel10g database backup to a new windows server ....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:47:52 CDT 2024