Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recover is failing w/ system SCN diff from Control File
Recover is failing w/ system SCN diff from Control File [message #139187] Mon, 26 September 2005 15:01 Go to next message
Alex Lima
I just started on this Environment and here is my RMAN backup script

CHANGE ARCHIVELOG ALL CROSSCHECK;
resync catalog;
# backup the whole db
backup
full
filesperset 10
format 'fullhot_%d_%U_%t.bus'
database;
# switch out of the current logfile
sql 'alter system archive log current';
resync catalog;
# backup the archived logs - destination 1
backup
format = 'arch_%d_s%sp%p.rma'
filesperset 10
(archivelog until time 'sysdate' delete input);
resync catalog;
sql 'alter system switch logfile';
# backup a copy of the controlfile that contains records for the
# other backups just made
backup
current controlfile
format 'ctlfile_%d_s%sp%p.rma';

My problem is that the backup command takes about 4 hours, then let say archlogs 234, 235, 236 gets generated but do not get backup until my regular arch logs backup script runs next time;

4 hours later when the backup command finished the backup controlfile command runs but the controlfile I am thinking that now the control file is different of the system file when the backup database started;

When I try to recover (DR Test) it ways fail on the recover process because of the control file SCN is ahead of the system datafile. The error says that the archlogs 234,235 and 236 are missing. I have then to recover them manually and then apply them with recover database using backup controlfile until cancel; That worked but I think something is wrong in my backup script.

One thing that I am not sure is when the backup control file runs, it takes the current controlfile value or the values when the Run{} started?

I would appreciate if anybody can help me out here? also I am backing up this to tape and I tried to set autobackup on but it failed.

Thank you,

Alex
Re: Recover is failing w/ system SCN diff from Control File [message #139485 is a reply to message #139187] Wed, 28 September 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

I had goen through your question and come to the conclusion that your SCN in controlfile is different from that in Redolog file and you dont have Archive log 234,235 and 236 which are missing. & when you try to recover the database ... your recovery is not taking place throung redolog file it is searching archive log first as all the SCN will be applied throung Archive log & then only redolog SCN will be applied ...

while recovering the database Oracle first search the SCN in redolog file if it gets it applies throuhg it .. but if it not there then oracle search for SCN in archive log then all the SCN from archive is applied it start applying SCN of redolog... but in your case as u dont have archive 234 235 and 236 so full recovery is not possible ...

I hope my above explanation will be helpfull to you....

Regards
Always Friend Sunilkumar..
Re: Recover is failing w/ system SCN diff from Control File [message #139717 is a reply to message #139485] Thu, 29 September 2005 05:15 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Alex wrote:
One thing that I am not sure is when the backup control file runs, it takes the current controlfile value or the values when the Run{} started? 

Wild guess-- but it should be the current controlfile value, i.e. the controlfile at that moment when the backup of it is taking place.
Previous Topic: Does imp need create a user before?
Next Topic: urgent help with RMAN backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:01:23 CDT 2024