Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recovery for a total newbie
icon5.gif  Recovery for a total newbie [message #138290] Wed, 21 September 2005 03:35 Go to next message
varkhan
Hello,

I'm a total newbie with Oracle (currently using 9.2 on a Win2k3 server) and I'm facing a problem I can't see how to handle, or even how to search help on.

The situation is as follows : a database Bellevue has been previously installed, standard database. Someone in the unit I work in has created 3 tablespaces, with files named LOB.ORA, SAGEX.ORA and SAGEX_INDEX.ORA, all located in the oradata/bellevue folder on the server's disk.

Some weeks earlier, the server faced a failure and the IT department simply made a 'backup' of the datas by copying the folders admin, ora92 and oradata to a different location, before reinstalling both the server and oracle 9.2 from scratch.

There were no backups made with RMAN or any other utility, as far as I know.

My problem is the following : I need to restore these three "tablespaces", but I simply do not know how to do it in this case. I do not even know whether it is possible or not. I've already rebuilt a new database with same SID, but how can I 'import' those tablespaces ?

Can anyone please help me ?
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #138309 is a reply to message #138290] Wed, 21 September 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliejane
As far as I'm aware (others correct me if I'm wrong) you can't just add these datafiles to your existing database (the headers are inconsistent with the new database)

A work around MAY BE that you use the backup that was created before the crash - as long as you have the datafiles and controlfiles and redolog files in that backup, recreate (recover) THAT database, and use TRANSPORTABLE_TABLESPACE export and import to add them to your new database..

The MAY BE was because it depends on the backup (copy) of the directories done after the crash, the availability of all the needed files from that backup, server space to recover the old database and so on..

I'll let others chip in, but if you want to give it a go, post back and I'll give you more extensive instructions..

One other thing to take into consideration, if the recovery works, you may not need to transport the tablespaces to the new database, unless you already have created objects on that new database..

Still thinking about it, I'll post back when I have it clearer in my head.

Allie
icon14.gif  Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139263 is a reply to message #138309] Tue, 27 September 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varkhan
Lo again,

In this very peculiar case, I found a rude workaround, certainly not clever and certainly not really elegant, but, as far as it works :

Realizing that it was nearly impossible to just add those tablespaces because at least of the control files, I tried this : I created a new instance with the same name as before, which created correctly for me the instance service. Once this was done, I shut down the instance, 'simply' replaced all the data files in oradata\instanceName with the backups I had - I did the same for the admin files and for the two instance-specific files that lay in ora92\admin - and started the instance.

And it worked out perfectly fine... in this special case where no work (or no significant work at least) had been done between the new installation and the attempt to recover the 3 tablespaces !

Thanks for the help anyway
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139267 is a reply to message #139263] Tue, 27 September 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

You were lucky man.
Razz
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139720 is a reply to message #139267] Thu, 29 September 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
@varkhan

Truly lucky.

Can you please put step by step all the actions that you performed in this recovery?
Did you used control file that was available at the time of crash?

--Girish

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 05:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139726 is a reply to message #139720] Thu, 29 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varkhan
Lo Girish,

Before crash :

Backup folders \admin\InstanceName, \oradata\InstanceName (where your actual data and control files are) and files \ora92\database\PWDInstanceName.ora (stored password, probably not mandatory) and \ora92\database\SPFILEInstanceName.ora (start file, mandatory)

After crash :

- reinstall Oracle 9.2 (only if needed of course)
- create a new instance with same name as the one you want to recover (case-sensitive, one never knows)
- shut down the new instance
- copy back all the files backed up before the crash to their correct location
- cross your fingers
- start the instance again

It should work, simply because the files you backed up really contain everything you seem to need in order to run your instance.

Does it help ?
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139730 is a reply to message #139726] Thu, 29 September 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
So.. you are restoring an old backup of database. & it must have been a cold backup???

--Girish
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139737 is a reply to message #139730] Thu, 29 September 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varkhan
Well, as for a cold backup, of course it was, because the 'backup' was made after a crash and was merely a simple disk copy...
Re: Recovery for a total newbie [message #139746 is a reply to message #139737] Thu, 29 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Well.. you are really lucky that you recovered the db. To tell you the truth it wasn't the cold consistent backup that you were having.

You got the crash recovery done as no file was lost.
Previous Topic: urgent help with RMAN backup
Next Topic: Data Pump Export Errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 01:16:25 CDT 2024