Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Archival Process
Archival Process [message #137970] Mon, 19 September 2005 03:33 Go to next message
rafi_aamiri
Hai,

Could you please explain in detail with an example about the archival procedures in Oracle 10g.

Thanks and Regards,

A.Mohammed Rafi.
Re: Archival Process [message #137975 is a reply to message #137970] Mon, 19 September 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Oracle 10g documentation is available on www.tahiti.oracle.com,
U can search there, whatever u want .

regards,
tarun
Re: Archival Process [message #137978 is a reply to message #137975] Mon, 19 September 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rafi_aamiri
thanks for the response.

but the link which you have provided redirects to an blank page.

could you please check it and let me know.

thanks.....
Re: Archival Process [message #137979 is a reply to message #137978] Mon, 19 September 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
OK do one thing,

open oracle site and register yourself for free. And then u can view as well as download all the documentation provided by oracle.

Click on the downloads then u would b able to see the regester link.

regards,
tarun

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 04:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Archival Process [message #137980 is a reply to message #137970] Mon, 19 September 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Before i can explain you regarding archival process... you must know regarding redolog file such as
[1] what is its importance of redo log file in Database?
[2] how much of redo group is required for a database?
[3] what is log switch ?
[3] what do u mean by member of redogroup?
etc.

You can go through with many document that you can find from net regarding database mode.

Every database can be in Archival mode & noarchive mode
But for complete recovery of database in time of crash we must need backup of database and database must be in archive mode.

As a DBA you have to start database in archive mode
In Archive mode when there is a LOG SWITCH copy of redolog file is made and stored at specified location (i.e path) which is set by DBA to store it. This all process of copying redologfile when logswitch take place is doen by ARCH Process when database is in archive mode.
Arch Process is a back ground process

(Database Instance = collection of backgroung process + SGA )
Background process is a smart program which execute automatically when some some event take place.
Log Switch means when one redolog file is filled then database start writting on another redolog file so switch from one redo to another is called logswitch.

Its is better that you read some documentation related to architecture of oracle database. So that you can get better idea related to all those thing which i had mention here very briefly.

Note:- There is many more thing related to archival process

Regards,
Always friend sunilkumar.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2005 04:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Archival Process [message #137982 is a reply to message #137980] Mon, 19 September 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua
sunil_v_mishra wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 15:00

Every database can be in Archival mode & noarchive modeBut for complete recovery of database in time of crash we must need backup of database and database must be in archive mode.

As a DBA you have to start database in archive mode

Sunil pls dont mind ( i m interrupting ) but Isnt it true that the mode of the database i.e. Archive or Noarchive depends on your backup policy and the growth of the datbase.

Why always in Archive mode ???

Just wanted to discuss dnt take it otherwise.

regards,
tarun

Re: Archival Process [message #137992 is a reply to message #137982] Mon, 19 September 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JSI2001
Quote:

Why always in Archive mode
If it's open to discussion Smile ?

Just my opinion:

It'd dependant on how the data gets into you tables.
If you do a backup of all you datafiles, then bulk load new data, and no more data is loaded until the next backup and bulk load, then it's pretty much safe to be in noarchivelog, as you will have all the data either in the backup or in the tables used for the bulk load.
However,
If ANY data is being loaded between backups (e.g. an oltp) then you really should be in archivelog mode otherwise one day, you WILL lose data. Something will fail, usually at the busiest period of the day (it's a law of nature Smile - like the photocopier jamming 2 minutes before an important presentation) and you will not have all of that data in the online redo log files.

T.Kyte in Expert One on One reccommends ALWAYS being in archivelog mode, even on dev machines.

Re: Archival Process [message #137998 is a reply to message #137992] Mon, 19 September 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Yeah its open for discussion,
Thats whay i wanted to discuss that it depends on the situation i.e. what kind of database u r running , what your backup strategy is , how much is the daily growth etc.

I agree that its better to keep your database in archivelog mode.
"Precaution is always better than cure"

Re: Archival Process [message #143610 is a reply to message #137970] Fri, 21 October 2005 04:08 Go to previous message
devathi80

Hi,

The archiving of filled groups has these advantages:

1. A database backup, together with online and archived redo
log files, guarantees that you can recover all committed
transactions in the event of an operating system or disk
failure.

2. You can use a backup taken while the database is open and in
normal system use if you keep an archived log.

3. You can keep a standby database current with its original
database by continually applying the original's archived
redo logs to the standby.

I hope these will be usefull to you..

Thanks,

Manoj Kumar

---
Previous Topic: backup detail
Next Topic: configure RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:37:28 CDT 2024