Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman retention policy
rman retention policy [message #137003] Mon, 12 September 2005 13:43 Go to next message
Terry Burns
Current configuration

Using the following:
Oracle9.2
rman
catalog

I'm running a full online backup daily and archive log backups 4 times a day. The full online also backups up the archive log files. These backups are running to disk. I only have enough disk to store 1 full online backup and 1 day's worth of archive log backups on disk. The file system backup backs up the backup set(s) to tape, then when the next backup runs it remove the last backup sets. The retention policy is set to 1 copy for full online and 1 day for archive log backups.

I would like to only keep 1 days worth of backups on disk but I would like to keep 30 days of catalog entries in the catalog. Because when the backup removes the old backup it also removes the catalog entry as well. Therefore if I restored a backup set (10 days old) from tape to disk I couldn't use it because it is no longer recorded in the catalog. And there doesn't seem to be any way to re-catalog an old backup set.

I thought the following might work:

change backup keep until time = 'sysdate+30' logs;

however, this is not allowed ...

CHANGE ... KEEP not supported for backup set which contains archive logs

I would like to keep 30 days worth of catalog entries for both archive log backups and full backups without keeping the files on disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: rman retention policy [message #137007 is a reply to message #137003] Mon, 12 September 2005 13:59 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Actually, the catalog entries are marked as OBSOLETE.
you can bring them back anytime you want.
or set you retention window.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconc1.htm#477319

Or do it manually ( i mean within the script).

Before every backup ( your backupset based on completion_time < sysdate-n ), issue (you can completely automate this)

rman>change backupset YOur_backupsets unavailable;
rman>resync catalog;

when you want them back,
change it to available.

after a month, purge the records.

Previous Topic: need a script to backup ..??
Next Topic: BACK UP AND RECOVERY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:34:34 CDT 2024