Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Update the testing DB from production from archive files
Update the testing DB from production from archive files [message #135967] Mon, 05 September 2005 03:04 Go to next message
kumarvk
Dear All,

I have created a database and copied the datafiles from production to testing as of 02 Sep 05. The datafiles where taken from production after a complete shutdown. I want to update the testing database (archive log enabled) with the latest datas from production. I copied all the archived log files as of the last shutdown that is previous working day.

When I try using the command
RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILES UNTIL CANCEL

It is giving error message by saying the arch files _1.arc is not there. In fact my archive starts from _34355.arc. How to change the log sequence no in the testing? Or any other way to update my testing from the archive files from production.

Can anybody help me in this regard?

Re: Update the testing DB from production from archive files [message #182240 is a reply to message #135967] Thu, 13 July 2006 22:02 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
If you copy over the datafiles from production to test then you need to write out a copy the controlfiles as well.

It sounds like you are trying to clone. If that is true then write out the controlfile using the 'alter database <sid> backup controlfile to <a name you can identify>;' and edit it to show the paths to the test datafile. You do not want the developers, or whoever is going to use the test database, to write to the production datafiles. There are a few other things to change as well. Search the forum for instructions on cloning a database.

If you are trying to apply archive files to test you will still need to copy the controlfile and edit the paths and other stuff it indicates in the file created by 'alter database <sid> backup controlfile to <a name you can identify>;'. Otherwise it will not know that there are archivelogs to apply.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 July 2006 22:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: OEM problems
Next Topic: how to use 10GR2 RMAN database to backup 9.2.0.5 database?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:57:53 CDT 2024