Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN restore on unix
RMAN restore on unix [message #127063] Fri, 08 July 2005 06:54 Go to next message
alanm

I have been asked by our developers to apply the production database to the test environment. From what I have read this is a fairly straight forward task. the issue I have is that the production database is much larger than the existing space in the test environment. The unix admin is adding another disk into the RAID but says that because of previous limitations he will have to trash the file system. I am guessing therefore that a re-install of Oracle 8i will be required. I also guess that I have to recreate RMAN. Anyone got any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2005 06:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN restore on unix [message #127066 is a reply to message #127063] Fri, 08 July 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Are you are using RMAN to do the duplicate?
If so,
Take fresh backup of PROD.
Install oracle in TEST.
Use RMAN to duplicate PROD to TEST.
It is not a single step process. THere is alot to understand/configure/customize this to your environment.
But Once you do this, RMAN duplication would be your sweet angel!.

And Please READ RMAN documentation.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2005 07:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN restore on unix [message #127070 is a reply to message #127066] Fri, 08 July 2005 07:59 Go to previous message
alanm

Hi,
Thanks for the input. RMAN is currently used on production so yes it will be used to rebuild the test machine. The only issue I have is that it has to be done and dusted by next wednesday.

I guess if after installing oracle in the new filesystem i can create a database by use of the controlfile, just change the paths to the filesystem directories and then use RMAN to perform a restore.

cheers
Previous Topic: import dump oracle 9i
Next Topic: how to recover tablespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:38:10 CDT 2024