Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » What is test database ?
What is test database ? [message #121222] Fri, 27 May 2005 00:09 Go to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Can any one define me test database ? pls dont send me doc on it i just need simple defination of what is test database ? Is there are any live data on test database or it is just database for testing purpose and RND of DBA?

Re: What is test database ? [message #121269 is a reply to message #121222] Fri, 27 May 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Is there are any live data on test database or it is just database for testing purpose and RND of DBA?

all or any of above is test database.
And next time, please use terms that can be understood.
should i assume RND as R&D?
Re: What is test database ? [message #121353 is a reply to message #121269] Fri, 27 May 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Please consider RND as R&D in above question ....

I am sorry for that miss typing of R&D as RND.

By the way my quetion is as it is
[1]what is test database ?
[2]Is there are any live data on test database or it is just database for testing purpose and R&D of DBA?

Re: What is test database ? [message #121447 is a reply to message #121353] Sun, 29 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girish.rohini
[1]what is test database ?

Database created for simulating ur production setup in a testing environment.

[2]Is there are any live data on test database or it is just database for testing purpose and R&D of DBA?

When u r creating a test database, either u can have it restored from backup copy of production database, or u can can create it from scratch. In first case, database will be containing data uptil point of backup of production database. But since, this database is for testing purpose, u can't call this data live.

Beware: u should not play around with ur live production database. Do all testing activities first on test server and then implement them on production server, ofcourse after taking note of all observations on testing server.
Re: What is test database ? [message #121454 is a reply to message #121447] Sun, 29 May 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
hi,

Thanks girish for your reply and .... by the way if I import my data from live database to my local server and do R&D on it that means i had created test database? (i.e. by migrating database on same version of o/s and oracle) sir please, Answer me in yes or no.

Re: What is test database ? [message #121455 is a reply to message #121222] Sun, 29 May 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMcG
A test database is simply a database you use to test your application on before using it in a live environment. It can be a different version of Oracle running on a different operating system with a completely random set of data, but if that's what you test on, then that's your test database (admittedly not a terribly good one).

The closer your test database mimics your live one then the more likely you are to catch application bugs before you go live. Ideally, use another system with the same version of OS and Oracle and with either a subset or better still, a super set of your live data.

Dougie McGibbon
Re: What is test database ? [message #121468 is a reply to message #121455] Mon, 30 May 2005 01:15 Go to previous message
girish.rohini
Thanks girish for your reply and .... by the way if I import my data from live database to my local server and do R&D on it that means i had created test database? (i.e. by migrating database on same version of o/s and oracle) sir please, Answer me in yes or no. From:- Sunilkumar Vishwanth Mishra

Yes

Well Sunil, I hope DMcG's reply does answer ur query in detail..

The closer your test database mimics your live one then the more likely you are to catch application bugs before you go live. Ideally, use another system with the same version of OS and Oracle and with either a subset or better still, a super set of your live data.
Previous Topic: how to recovery database from tape to test db
Next Topic: Oracle 10g: Backup startegy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:43:19 CDT 2024