Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup controlfiles and recovery?
Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #102952] Fri, 20 December 2002 12:32 Go to next message
Jeff
I'm trying to figure out what the best way to backup a controlfile is to ensure it will be suitable to use for recovery. I can't just make a copy of a controlfile with the OS commands while the database is up, right? If I use "backup controlfile to " will that give me a binary copy of the controlfile that IS valid for recovery?
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #102967 is a reply to message #102952] Wed, 01 January 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheshadri
Definitely Yes..
You can use backup controlfile to '---any Path ---'
which will create you a binary copy of your control file.
Or You can use "backup controlfile to trace;"
which will create a tracefile in your udump dir. wherein you will find the syntax for creating a control file and u can change it accordingly.

try it out.
bye
shesh
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #102968 is a reply to message #102952] Thu, 02 January 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vishal Parkar
I wont suggest you taking "backup controlfile to trace"
command since it will create a "create controlfile" statement in trace files and if you run this statement for rebuilding controlfile you will have to do resetlogs. I would rather suggest taking backup through "alter database backup controlfile to <dest>" which will allow you to take backup of controlfile in binary format.

--Vishal
Re: Backup controlfiles and recovery? [message #104240 is a reply to message #102967] Mon, 30 August 2004 04:10 Go to previous message
deepak mallick
pl imformed to me how to physical recovery with the help of
control file.
with regards,
deepak.
Previous Topic: Oracle database backup via SQL/SP?
Next Topic: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:30:42 CDT 2024