Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Recovery
RMAN Recovery [message #74462] Wed, 15 December 2004 08:35 Go to next message
Gary Price
I have a quick question regarding rman recovery. The following scenario applies to my question.  I am recovery a database from a full rman backup and wanting to apply archived redo logs that have not been backup via rman, I.E. not all archived logs are in the rman catalog.

I've ran the  restore database command and am now ready to run the recover database.  My question is will the "recover database" command by default apply all archived log files in the archive destination directory or do the files have to be cataloged prior to running the recover command?

Thanks in advance for you assitance.

Gary
Re: RMAN Recovery [message #74463 is a reply to message #74462] Wed, 15 December 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi Gary,

The RMAN catalog will know about all archived logs that were backed-up and those still on disk.

If you look at the output, you will notice that RMAN is doing a partial resync before backups and restores.

RMAN-03022: compiling command: backup 
RMAN-03025: performing implicit partial resync of recovery catalog 
RMAN-03023: executing command: partial resync 
RMAN-08003: starting partial resync of recovery catalog 
RMAN-08005: partial resync complete 
RMAN-03023: executing command: backup 

RMAN-03022: compiling command: restore  
RMAN-03025: performing implicit partial resync of recovery catalog  
RMAN-03023: executing command: partial resync  RMAN-08003: starting partial resync of recovery catalog  
RMAN-08005: partial resync complete 

Best regards.

Frank
Re: RMAN Recovery [message #74465 is a reply to message #74462] Wed, 15 December 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
As long as you have all the required archived logs healthy , intact and intheir original location, you can always recover the database.

Try this.

< step1 >
do a complete good,valid,great,best,... whatever backup.

< step2 >
Blow away one of the datafiles / tablespaces.
make sure you switch all your logfiles / or log files are archived.

< step3 >
Just issue "recover database".
after recovery you will find, the database
is the state before < step3 >.
i.e, You will still have the datafile / tablespace lost.

By default "recover database" does / tries to do a full recovery.
Only when you ask RMAN to restore/recover as of a POINT -IN-TIME or SCN it will do an incomplete or partial recovery.
You can test this by repeating < step3 >
Try using TSPITR.
give a time / scn prior to < step2 >. This time it restore and recover the database partially until the point you have mentioned.
Re: RMAN Recovery [message #74470 is a reply to message #74462] Fri, 17 December 2004 02:16 Go to previous message
Michael Hartley

The RMAN catalog exists incase you loose all the controlfiles. During a verify RMAN writes the controlfile information about previous backups and archivelogs to the catalog.

If you are restoring the database, including controlfiles, the RDMBS recover will attempt to identify the most recent SCN by comparing datafiles and controlfiles, then iterate through all the archive logs available, either from your backup media or the archivelogs on disk.

In this situation the recovery will not know when to finish, so you can recover to either an SCN , point in time or sequence number.

Michael Hartley

http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Previous Topic: recovery problem archive is missing
Next Topic: full backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:51:55 CDT 2024