Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up
RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74040] Sun, 29 August 2004 21:45 Go to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Hello,

I am running a RMAN backup script. The backed up data comprises of datafiles, control files as well as archived log files. Now, mid-way the filesystem got filled up and the RMAN back up job which was run from a UNIX shell script (scheduled by a job-scheduler) got stuck. Now, I want to kill the job and re-execute the back up job.

Can anyone tell me the stpes involved, as I understand that there are some kinds of sync to be made with the catalog. Actually I want to know the entire stpes...say for eg when should I physically delete the backed up files or the files which were created by the failed job. What commands should I give in the RMAN prompt.

Thanks in advance,
Shibaji

Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74050 is a reply to message #74040] Tue, 31 August 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
if this is a test environment, you can simply delete files backed up on filled filesystem, resize filesystem and start over again.

Best luck
www.consultoria-oracle.com
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74057 is a reply to message #74050] Wed, 01 September 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Thank you for the help. My database is in Production. I can understand that I have to delete the backed up files generated before the job ran into error. But at the same time I presume that I have to make some kind of sync with the recovery catalog or control file. Otherwise the meta data information in the catalog will have a different information set. Can you please let me know what are those sync commands to be issued. A step by step issuance of the comand set will be helpful.

Again, thank you for the help.
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74060 is a reply to message #74057] Wed, 01 September 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
Anyway, you can run your backup script again.
Everytime you run the backup, RMAN will label the backuppiece with some TAG according what you specified in the FORMAT clause. (I use format 'bk_%d_%s_%p' )
This label is generated everytime you run RMAN, so, you can run the job again because operating system file names will differ from previous backup jobs.
Don't delete any files from the filled filesystem, new backup jobs will generate new files on that filesystem.
Besides, i think that SYNC between RMAN catalog and controlfiles are automatic. But you can add the following statement at the end of your backup script:
resync catalog;

Best luck
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74070 is a reply to message #74060] Thu, 02 September 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Thanks again. I am very much with your statements. Indeed its of some help. What I would like to know is that, I have to delete the already backed up files, since I can only reclaim space by removing those entries. In that case I presume I have to manually sync the database. If I go by your statement of automatic sync, just confirm me whether there is any further need to manually issue the resync command from RMAN prompt
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74076 is a reply to message #74070] Thu, 02 September 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
Ok, if you need to delete old files to claim space, you must connect to RMAN catalog and issue as follows:

ALLOCATE CHANNEL FOR MAINTENANCE DEVICE TYPE disk;
CROSSCHECK BACKUP OF DATABASE;

You must do that after deleting files from disk.

Regarding SYNC, you don't need to do that after crosscheck.
But i think it is better for you to do the SYNC after end of every backup, just as i mentioned in my last post.
Best luck.
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74079 is a reply to message #74076] Fri, 03 September 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shibaji Ghosh
Thank you very much. This is exactly the thing I was looking for. However, I have collected a series of scripts from a different source where it was instructed to run all these commands after the OS files are removed. Here it goes :

connect target /;
connect catalog rman/rman@...;
allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
crosscheck backup of database;
delete expired backup of database;
crosscheck backup of archivelog all;
delete expired backup of archivelog all;
change archivelog all crosscheck;
resync catalog;
release channel;
exit;

Can you verify and let me know if these are OK or we have some extra items involved here.

Anyway, thank you very much for the help.

Shibaji
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74081 is a reply to message #74079] Fri, 03 September 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
croK
It is OK, that script would work fine.
I don't recall exactly the statement:
change archivelog all crosscheck;
usualy i don't do that, but the script would work.

Best luck.
Re: RMAN job failed.filesystem got filled up [message #74082 is a reply to message #74081] Fri, 03 September 2004 18:27 Go to previous message
Shibaji Ghosh
Thank you very much for all the help. I am proceeding with it.
Previous Topic: Backup controlfiles and recovery?
Next Topic: Database Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:45:05 CDT 2024