Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » recovery in archive mode; no archived logs
recovery in archive mode; no archived logs [message #64339] Fri, 14 January 2005 01:57 Go to next message
Albert
Hi,
I hope someone can help me with the following question.
I have a 9.2 database in archive mode. Suppose on t=t0 I make an online backup. At the end of this run, I will do an "alter system switch logfile" statement to capture the latest transactions (more or less also at t=t0). Later, at t=t1 I need to restore the complete database, but I have lost the archive files as from t=t0. Now the question is, is it still possible to recover (even it means to go back to t=t0)? I have tried it, but always the system suggests to apply archived redo's, and I cannot escape this. Is there any way out of such an situation?
Thanks a lot, for any clue or pointer !
Re: recovery in archive mode; no archived logs [message #64341 is a reply to message #64339] Fri, 14 January 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You have backup your archived logs also.

In your case,

Note:-- are comments

when t=t0
    take a backup
    switch the logfile
--you say
--to capture the latest transactions (
--more or less also at t=t0)
--but where are the transactions recorded?????
--it is recorded in your archived logs!!
when t=t1 
    do your business
when t=t2 
    trying to restore from t=t0 and recovery.
    You might restore to t0.
    But point-in-time recovery after t0 and before
    switching logfiles are available only in archivedlogs!!.
Re: recovery in archive mode; no archived logs [message #64343 is a reply to message #64341] Fri, 14 January 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Albert
But how?
I mean the archived logs from t>t0 are lost. When I do "recover database" the system forces me to apply archived logs. But these are not there. If I choose cancel or any other option, the the process fails.
Please explain how to get to an consistent state at t=t0.
Thanks!
Re: recovery in archive mode; no archived logs [message #64374 is a reply to message #64343] Thu, 20 January 2005 01:21 Go to previous message
V
Albert,

you have taken an online backup and trying to do a complete db recovery. A tablespace recovery will not report an error but for a complete recovery you need the arch logs prior to t0.

-v
Previous Topic: RMan from Windows Bat file w/o RCAT
Next Topic: RMAN-20202:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:57:40 CDT 2024