Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » backup controlfile
backup controlfile [message #62594] Mon, 02 August 2004 04:19 Go to next message
p anil
how can we have a backupa control file
only by mirroring using operating system commands

using
alter database backup controlfile to trace;

i want know what control file will be in use
when we recover database
giving
alter database recover using backup controlfile:

will the database have another backup of controlfile
Re: backup controlfile [message #62602 is a reply to message #62594] Mon, 02 August 2004 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
satyajit das
when u use
alter database recover using backup control file . it means that u are using a older control file backuped earlier during recovery. it doesnot create another backup control file. when u use this command this means that u are doing incomplete recovery where some objects have been deleted and u want to recover the database upto that point of time before deletion.so u have to restore all the datafiles including system,controlfiles of latest earlier backup and then use this alter database recover using backup control file to recover the database
Re: backup controlfile [message #62604 is a reply to message #62594] Mon, 02 August 2004 22:16 Go to previous message
Thomas Anderson
The "alter database backup controlfile to trace" will create a text file, so you can recreate the control file from it.

For backup - use "alter database backup controlfile to 'filename.bak" . It will create a binary copy of the control file, which you can use with the recover command.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP DBA 8/8i/9i

Oracle DBA Resources
Oracle DBA Forums
USENET Oracle newsgroups
Previous Topic: how to use recover with rman
Next Topic: Restore database from backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:35:42 CDT 2024