Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Using Exports as Backups
Using Exports as Backups [message #61046] Mon, 22 March 2004 06:26 Go to next message
Michael Cupp
I'm fairly new to a position, and the client is using/relying solely on database exports (9i DB) for database backups.  I am attempting to create a persuasion document to implement a more aggresive backup plan - I'm going to propose Archive Log mode, Hot backups (27/7 environment) -

Can anyone help me with reasons to list that export is NOT a backup solution?

Thanks,

M
Re: Using Exports as Backups [message #61047 is a reply to message #61046] Mon, 22 March 2004 08:34 Go to previous message
Thiru
it all depends on the availability requirements,MTTR and transaction volume/type.
Its certainly not a solution for production databases where you would need to perform media recovery,point in time recovery ,standby databases etc and have very high availablity,high MTBF and low MTTR requirements. ie)export backups are logical backups and cannot be used in media recovery(recovery of datafile ,application of archivelogs etc).

Its usually much slower(especially imports) than physical backups/restoration.

Also you are always prone to ORA-1555 snapshot too old errors on exports that run into contending transactions.

Exports can come to rescue in recovering from small table losses quickly,but not for big tables.

Exports has other uses too(integrity checking,reorganization,schema extraction etc), but is not a substitute for phyiscal hotbackups, when it comes to providing a complete backup solution.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Backing up database
Next Topic: rman in nonarchivelog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:45:00 CDT 2024