Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Any way I could use dbverify on backups
Any way I could use dbverify on backups [message #59938] Sun, 04 January 2004 22:54 Go to next message
scott
Hi,
I have been successful in using DBVERIFY on existing datafiles. If I take a cold backup I know that I can use DBVERFY on them. Can this utility also be used on backups which are hot backups and RMAN backups?
If you have a quick reference please send me the link.

Thanks

Scott
Re: Any way I could use dbverify on backups [message #59940 is a reply to message #59938] Mon, 05 January 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

I don't think you can use DBverify on fuzzy files (like on-line backup files). Nevertheless, you can use the RMAN "VALIDATE BACKUPSET..." or "RESTORE...VALIDATE" commands to verify if an RMAN backup is restorable. This is documented in the Oracle9i Recovery Manager Reference Guide.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Any way I could use dbverify on backups [message #59943 is a reply to message #59938] Mon, 05 January 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
not being picky~
only method i would test ( trust?)  a backup is to apply and see it. i mean, do a restoration and test it.
test it in all possible cases (blow away the database in all scnerios and restore it).
I did have some bad expereinces before  in NOT TESTING THE BACKUPS as in real time restoration.
It is understandable that, it is not to possible to test a production datbaase. so i use the rman backup pieces to restore database into another test machine or same machine but another database ( use the duplicate command).
if this duplication works, then the backup is good.

Re: Any way I could use dbverify on backups [message #59953 is a reply to message #59940] Mon, 05 January 2004 13:26 Go to previous message
scott
Thanx a lot,

Scott
Previous Topic: How to backup the RMAN catalog database
Next Topic: Legato Networker and RMAN problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:11:09 CDT 2024