Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » backup strategy and hardware requirements, as well as archivelog mode problem
backup strategy and hardware requirements, as well as archivelog mode problem [message #54491] Tue, 19 November 2002 16:00 Go to next message
Angie
Dear guru,

I'm investigating on backup Oracle8.1.7 database, including the hardware requirements, not very data-crucial database. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. full database backup once a week (could be any one of the following: cold backup, hotbackup or export), doing incremental backup everyday using export.
2. backups would be saved to a different disk, ideally, a different device from Oracle server, either a removable hard-drive or tape device.

Also my questions are:
1. what is commonly used device for backup? a removable hard-drive, tape device, or simply just another computer? what is the advantage of one over the other? Any suggestions on any brand or price range?
2. when I run my database in archivelog mode, and large data set is loaded, it dies half-way through, I have to shutdown the db and restart, but same problem comes up again (my db server is a pretty old machine, 1.47GB free space after Oracle installed, RAM 130,484KB, x86 Family 6 Model 3 stepping 4). I have to run in nonarchivelog mode to get data loaded successfully. Any ways that can help to keep db in archivelog mode? or I need a new box for server?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Angie
Re: backup strategy and hardware requirements, as well as archivelog mode problem [message #54518 is a reply to message #54491] Wed, 20 November 2002 08:27 Go to previous message
Kossaku Nakombi
Too much generic subject.

The backup policy depends on volatility of data, volumes, and other requirements (e.g. when I'll need the backup)? So you should analyze the requirements and then establish a backup & recovery policy.

Backups can be done to disks, tapes or both. Again it depends on requirements such SLA for recovery times. The most common for small volumes (< 100GB) is the use of DLT tapes (DLT3 7000, DLT 8000 ou SDLT). It's very common to find customers with LTO tape drives (which can backup 2GB in 3 minutes).

When backing up to tapes, use RMAN.
Previous Topic: backup strategy and hardware requirements, as well as archivelog mode problem
Next Topic: backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:56:40 CDT 2024