Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle Backup. Quick question
Oracle Backup. Quick question [message #52982] Thu, 22 August 2002 14:36 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,
I have setup oracle backup on a server. Both cold backups and warm backups. I use 'EXP' to export the structure and data daily. And then cold backup all the rollback, control, data files etc., weekly. In case of any failure, I should be able to go back to the previous day's backup. Is this backup sufficient or should I be doing something more? Should I also backup the redo logs daily? It will be helpful if I get this info asap.

Thanks
tony
Re: Oracle Backup. Quick question [message #52985 is a reply to message #52982] Thu, 22 August 2002 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
If you running in ARCHIVELOG mode, all online redo logs are archived by ARCH and most probably backed up by Oracle DBA. So no need for backup here.

If you are running NOARCHIVELOG mode you have to backup your database after clean. That ensures that the offline backup will be able to bring the database to a consistent point-in-time without any further recovery. In this case you don't have to apply redo log files as well.

Technically, you don't need them in your backup set but if you want to sleep well, take a backup of them. They are not taking so much tape space anyway.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Oracle Backup. Quick question [message #53005 is a reply to message #52982] Fri, 23 August 2002 07:06 Go to previous message
Sanjay
Your backups scenario is good enough.

'exp' every day (I presume at night) and then cold backups on weekends. I presume you are backing up everything in the cold backup, meaning anything related to Oracle on the server.

Here is the recovery scenario:
1. If you are in ARCHIVE mode, then you can get the last cold backup, get all the archive logs (which is included in the cold backup) and then do a point-in-time recovery.
2. If you want to recover from the exports, then you go back to the previous nights condition. If something bad happened at 3:00 pm, then you get the previous nights export, import it and then manually move forward till 2:59 pm, meaning you do all the data entries/changes from that day morning till 2:59 pm.

Bottom line is, it all depends on how critical your data is and how you want to be able to recover. Put this forward to your management and see if they are comfortable with it.

Good luck.
Previous Topic: RMAN 8.0.5 .. please advise!!!
Next Topic: Quick Question on RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:00:10 CDT 2024