Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE
RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE [message #50550] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:33 Go to next message
fred Geeves
Hi,
I need to restore a table that was possibly deleted two weeks ago by a user. I know the name of the table. The database is backedu p once a week to tape. Is it possible to restore this table from the tape and how do I do it!!!

Or does the archivelog hold the information from that long ago
Re: RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE [message #50551 is a reply to message #50550] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senthil
If its a test box and acceptable to bring down the database...
1. Take the backup of the database
2. Restore the backup taken before the table get dropped.
3. Export the table
4. Restore the new backup
5. Import the table

If its a production box
1. Restore the backup taken before the table get dropped into another machine
2. Export the table
3. Import the table into the production box
Re: RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE [message #50560 is a reply to message #50550] Thu, 21 March 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fred Geeves
Thanks for the info

Its a production machine I cannot bring down. I have another server that has oracle 8 installed. The database is Oracle 7. Sorry I have never done this before how do I did it!
Re: RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE [message #50562 is a reply to message #50550] Thu, 21 March 2002 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senthil
I take your production database is Oracle 7 and standby/test database is Oracle 8. If you have logical backup, then your job might be easy. You could import the content into test database(take a backup of test database in case if you would like to restore it back). Make sure that you can see the dropped table in test database. Export the dropped table alone from test database and finally import into your production database.
If you have any other backup type, you would have to setup the environment and restore the backup. This could expect the same database version you were running on production. Then follow the steps as i said above, make sure that you can see the table, export it and import it back to the production database.
Re: RESTORE TABLES FRom BACKUP TAPE [message #50601 is a reply to message #50550] Mon, 25 March 2002 02:31 Go to previous message
fred Geeves
Okay here is the problem. I have the backup tape. What I want to do is copy the backup tape from a unix server to an nt server. I know very little about unix and having toubling accessing the tape drive (DDS format) is there a command for just copying the contents of the tape to another location i.e another server.
Previous Topic: RMAN-01005:,.RMAN-01007
Next Topic: 97 backup using rman
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:32:16 CDT 2024