Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » OfflineBackup
OfflineBackup [message #365406] Mon, 27 April 1998 16:34 Go to next message
Jon Nordby
I am writing some scripts to automate Online and Offline backups, scheduling them with Enterprise Manager and Intelligent Agent.

My question is, for Offline Backups, do I really need to have the database shutdown, or would having it running with sessions restricted (and only letting one user stay logged in to effectively ensure nothing is going on to affect the database) be sufficient. I want to copy all the tablespace data files and get a valid quiescent snapshot of those tables, but would prefer to do the copy from SQL*PLUS host start /wait commands, meaning It has to be connected to the database.

Thanks for any input, Jon
Re: OfflineBackup [message #365421 is a reply to message #365406] Mon, 11 May 1998 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi Jon,

I don't think you would want to take a chance on this. Shutdown the database properly before starting a offline backup!!! The alternative is to do on-line or hot backups, which in my view are the best thing to do anyway!

Cheers
Frank
Re: OfflineBackup [message #365425 is a reply to message #365421] Mon, 11 May 1998 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jon Nordby
Thanks Frank.

Due to the inactivity in the message, I followed your advice and erred on the side of safety. I am doing hot backups nightly on these systems, but wanted an offline backup weekly, along with a weekly export, for extra safety and to potentially speed up recovery (having to apply fewer logs).

Thanks for this forum!
Jon.
Re: OfflineBackup [message #365502 is a reply to message #365421] Mon, 20 July 1998 14:53 Go to previous message
Jana Reeves Badham
Frank;

I am going to be setting up online backups for
our databases. Do you have any tips or sample
scripts that would help me out?? I would also be
interested in good reference material.

Thanks in advance!!

jana
Previous Topic: Re: Third party products for backup&recovery
Next Topic: Backup and Recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:24:55 CDT 2024